Dear Warrior Nation:
I hope that you have enjoyed your summer vacation with family and friends. The Fall Sports season is quickly approaching; August 3rd will begin the start of most sports. We strongly encourage all students to become active in the various clubs, organizations, and athletic teams that are offered here at Wakefield. While the various clubs and organizations will start in September, many of the teams for the fall sports will begin next Monday. If you are interested in participating in one of these sports, please note the following:
• Any athlete trying out for a sport must have medical insurance coverage. An insurance policy can be purchased through the school. No athlete can participate without insurance. Insurance forms are posted on the Wakefield webpage (www.apsva.us/wakefield) – click on Athletics and then Fall Sports to navigate to that page. Questions call Noel Deskins at 703-228-6733 or Bob Strauss at 703-228-6662.
• Every athlete must have a current physical not dated before May 1, 2015 and completed on the New VHSL Athletic Participation/Parental Consent/Physical Examination Form. This form can be downloaded from our website at www.apsva.us/wakefield or www.warriorswhsathletics.com
Download ALL DOUMENTS LISTED on the Physical Form Page!
• Golf will begin on August 3, 2015. Contact Coach Greenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-928-0228 or Coach Nick Chauvenet at Nicholas.email@example.com for additional information. All skill levels, boys and girls are invited to participate and tryout. The Golf Practice Schedule is also posted on our web page under Fall Sports. Golf is the first sport that will begin real competition on August 10th so it’s imperative that kids have their physicals and are ready to go on August 3.
• Girls’ field hockey practice will start on August 3rd at 3:30-6 pm. Contact Coach Mike Wisniewski or Caitlin Williams for additional information. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• Football practice starts on August 3rd at 2 – 5 pm for JV/Varsity. Freshmen football practice begins August 10th from 3 – 5 pm. Please meet in the basement level of the school. Contact Coach Hogwood at 571-296-2215 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Contact Kevin Almond for freshmen football questions at email@example.com. The Freshmen football coaching staff will be holding a parents meeting on August 6th, 6 – 8 pm in room A-134.
• Girls’ volleyball tryouts (all levels) will begin on Monday, August 3rd from 4:30 – 7:30 PM and will run through Friday, August 7th in the main gym. Contact head coach, Latefia Bradley for additional information at Tefia02@yahoo.com
• Cheerleading try-outs (all levels) will begin on August 3-5 at 4:30 – 6:30 pm in the small gym. Contact Coach Tamar Willis at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Cross-country begins August 10th. Practices are at 5:45 pm – on the track at Wakefield. Contact Mr. Strauss at 703-228-6662 or Robert.email@example.com if you are interested in joining the team.
• Marching Band Camp will be held on August 17-28 from 1 to 9 pm. Contact Director Brian Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Please check www.apsva.us/wakefield under Fall Sports for more in depth information concerning Fall Sports and try-outs.
• Athletic schedules are posted online at (NEW) www.warriorswhsathletics.com – To navigate this website properly please click on the Fall Sports Tab, choose your sport, then click on the Schedules Tab, choose your level team. Other forms and documents are loaded on this website too! This year, you should be able to subscribe to the calendar of the sports team you would like to follow and the schedule should populate to your smart phone.
• Mobile App: Parents and community members can follow Wakefield teams news, schedules, rosters, alerts, etc through the VNN Mobile App. Click the links below to download straight to your phone or tablet:
• VNN Mobile App for Android (Google Play Store)
• VNN Mobile App for iPhone (Apple Store)
GO WARRIORS! See you soon!